ABCD is pleased to announce its new ABCD Lecture Program.
Aims of the ABCD Lecture Program
- The Program provides financial support for the invitation of high profile foreign speakers to hold lectures in Italian Institutions. The format of the presentation must be that of a Lectio Magistralis (a Keynote lecture) on a topical and high-impact theme.
- The Program will offer support of up to 1500 euros per speaker, which can be used to pay for flights (economy fare), accommodation (two nights maximum), and if necessary a speaker’s fee.
- The Program will not cover costs for lectures held in the context of meetings and or symposia.
Conditions for funding
- Funding may be requested by ABCD members whose association fees have been paid in full.
- ABCD members will be responsible for organizing the lecture and any other associated arrangements.
- Each member is entitled to funding for a maximum of one ABCD Lecture every two years.
- The lecture is intended to bring visibility to both ABCD and the host institution. Therefore, funding will be provided only for invitations to very high profile speakers. The host member and institution are expected to advertise the event widely and, if necessary, to provide additional funding for the event. ABCD reserves the right to advertise the event via its own communication channels.
- The lecture will be called “The ABCD Lecture” and will be preceded by a short introduction (held by the host member) on the aims and events organized by ABCD (based on material that will be provided by ABCD: 1-2 slides).
- The lecture will be held in English and must be in a field that is of interest to the Cell Biology and Differentiation scientific community.
- ABCD will record the lecture (making use of its own personnel and/or by mutual arrangements with the host member) and will publish it on its own communication channels retricted to its members onl . Speakers will therefore be requested to sign an agreement in this regard. ABCD will also film a 15-30 minute interview with the speaker to be published on its YouTube channel. We warmly recommend that host members put these requests forward to speakers at the time of their invitation.
- ABCD Lectures cannot overlap with any other initiative (National Meeting, PhD Meeting, ABCD Symposia) held by ABCD.
How to apply
Requests should be addressed to the ABCD secretariat (email@example.com). Please provide:
- A brief CV of the proposed speaker, together with his/her most significant publications.
- The proposed title (may be tentative) of the lecture and the suggested date.
- A description highlighting the suitability of the lecture venue and the possibility of attracting an audience that is suitable for the intentions and objectives of a Lectio Magistralis.
Review and approval procedures
The ABCD Board will perform quarterly evaluations of requests according to the following schedule: 28th February, 30th June, 31st October. ABCD will communicate its decisions within 15 days of these quarterly deadlines (we recommend that applications be sent in well ahead of deadlines). One or two lectures will be approved for each quarter. Expenses will be reimbursed (up to a maximum of 1500 euros) upon presentation of receipts or invoices (to be sent to the ABCD secretariat within 15/20 days from the lecture).
ABCD will ensure an even geographical distribution of resources for this program across Italy.